It can be tough to remember what is needed to be done landscaping-wise for each particular season. So… sit back and read the following list to be ready to tackle your spring landscaping chores or better yet know what you want to have a professional landscaper do for you!…
Every couple of years it’s good to test your soil to make sure it has a proper pH balance and a good mix of nutrients in it. Your lawn care or landscaping company can test your soil for you.
Fertilize The Lawn
When you know your soil conditions, you will know how best to fertilize your lawn. This is some serious science people! Rely on a professional to fertilize your lawn properly. This is what it takes to fertilize correctly…
- Find what your soil needs through a soil test.
- Use the right fertilizer based on what your soil needs
- Make sure to choose the right time of year to fertilize your particular type of lawn
- Slow-release or controlled release fertilizers can increase nutrient absorption
- Sometimes you need organic material added to increase the health of your soil
- Know that too much fertilizer can harm your lawn can cost you more than you plan. This is why we recommend using a professional lawncare or landscaping company.
- Know that too little fertilizer won’t give you the desired results. You know to get it just right for great results!
- Some fertilizers aren’t allowed in certain areas and situations. Make sure you are obeying the laws and ordinances in your area.
Fertilize the Trees, Shrubs, and Plants
Shrubs, trees, and plants will also benefit from good fertilization with slow-release fertilizer just before mulch is laid.
Tree and Shrub Inspection
Just take a look at your entire yard and see if there are any broken or damaged branches that need picked up or fixed or pruned. It’s best to have a professional come in and work on your trees and shrubs so you don’t cut them wrong or promote disease.
Apply pre-emergent weed control in the spring.
Get Your Planting Beds In Shape
Remove leaves and debris from your planting beds and create good natural edges around the beds with an edging tool.
Time to Mulch
Add an inch-thick layer of mulch in your plant beds and around your trees and shrubs. Keep the mulch off the tree trunks and never let it be more than 3 inches in depth. Mulch looks great and helps retain the moisture trees, shrubs, and plants need to thrive. It also keep the roots cool in the summer and insulates them in the winter. Then as mulch decomposes, it adds organic matter to your soil. Wow!
How is the Irrigation System Doing?
Turn on your irrigation system and check to see if it is working properly. If not, it’s best to call in a professional to get it in tip-top shape.
Davis Landscape can help you achieve the landscaping you dream about! We help our clients with landscaping designs that fit their lifestyles and budgets!
Contact Us (859-781-0677) for More Information!
Davis Landscape Design & Installation has been providing landscaping services to customers in Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati since 1965! We know that the landscape design process can be overwhelming, so we work with you tirelessly to better understand your vision. At Davis Landscape Design & Installation, we’re on your team and we know how to listen and deliver.
>> Learn More / See Our Work